Senior Research Associate
Department of Engineering
Cambridge CB2 1PZ
Işıl Ayrancı Kılınç is a Senior Research Associate at the Energy Group of the Engineering Department.
In 2008 she started working at the UGTP High Pressure Combustion Facility. She has been leading experimental research campaigns supporting development of low-NOx, low smoke fuel injector technologies for next generation jet engines. She has contributed to various projects funded by EPSRC, Rolls-Royce, EU FP7 and MHI.
Işıl specializes in optical diagnostics, gas turbine combustion and radiative transfer. She received her BSc and MSc degrees from Middle East Technical University (METU) in Ankara in Chemical Engineering. She holds joint doctoral degrees in thermal energy and chemical engineering from INSA Lyon and METU, respectively. Following her PhD degree in 2007, she was honoured by Elsevier JQSRT Young Scientist Award in Radiative Transfer, EADS Foundation Best Thesis Award in Physics and Materials Science and METU Best Thesis Award. Then in 2008-09 she received Schlumberger Foundation fellowship in partial support for her postdoctoral studies. In 2012, Işıl has been elected to the Scientific Council of the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer (ICHMT).
Departments and Institutes
- In-line particle sensing techniques
- Experimental gas turbine combustion
- Gas turbine fuel injection technologies and pollutant emissions
- Laser diagnostics
- Light scattering by fractal aggregates
- Emission thermometry
- Radiative transfer modelling and integration with CFD
- 2010 Teaching Associate of UK Higher Education Academy
- Lent, 2009-10 Undergraduate Supervision, Cambridge University Engineering Department, Module 3A6, Heat and Mass Transfer.
- 2000 – 2006 Teaching Assistant, METU, Chemical Engineering Department, Ankara.
Transport Phenomena: Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer, Chemical Engineering Mathematics, Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
Heat Transfer in Radiating and Combusting Systems, Chemical Engineering Laboratory, Thermodynamics I, Industrial Organization and Management, Engineering Economics
- Ayrancı I., Aydemir, G., Jones, B., Dennis, D., Hochgreb, S., Soot, fuel spray and emission characteristics of ENTAPS (Engine Technologies for Aircraft Persistence and Survivability) injectors at elevated pressures, submitted to Rolls-Royce Defence Aerospace Division, Technical Report CIPCF-11/01, Cambridge University Engineering Department, June 2011.
- Ayrancı I., Hochgreb S., Comparative evaluation of combustion and instability characteristics of two lean-direct injection fuel spray nozzles: CD3b vs. CD1, submitted to Rolls-Royce plc Combustion Unit within the frame of University Gas Turbine Partnership (UGTP) (CIPCF-10/01), March 2010, Cambridge, UK.
- Ayrancı I., Cambridge Siren Rig Cold Test and Commissioning, UGTP Thermoacoustics Workshop, 22 March 2010, Cambridge University.
- Ayrancı I., Hochgreb S., Baseline database on self-excited instabilities, Deliverable D4.3.1, European Union Seventh Framework Programme Collaborative Project: Technologies Enhancement for Clean Combustion in Aero-Engines (TECC-AE FP7-211843), July 2009, Cambridge, UK.
SELECTED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (Extended list)
- Ayrancı I., Vaillon R., Selçuk N., Near-infrared emission spectrometry measurements for nonintrusive soot diagnostics in flames, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 109 (2), p. 349-361, 2008.
- Ayrancı I., Vaillon R., Selçuk N., André F. and Escudié D., Determination of soot temperature, volume fraction and refractive index from flame emission spectrometry, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer (JQSRT), Vol. 104 (2), p. 266-276, 2007.
- Ayrancı I., Pinguet G., Escudié D., Selçuk N., Vaillon R. and André F., Effect of particle polydispersity on particle concentration measurement by using laser Doppler anemometry, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Vol. 31 (8), p. 839-847, 2007.
- Sabouroux P., Stout B., Geffrin J. M., Eyraud C., Ayrancı I., Vaillon R. Selçuk N., Amplitude and phase of light scattered by micro-scale aggregates of dielectric spheres: Comparison between theory and microwave analogy experiments, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 103 (1), p. 156-167, 2007.
- Ayrancı I., Selçuk N., MOL solution of DOM for transient radiative transfer in 3-D scattering media, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, Vol. 84 (4), p. 409-422, 2004.
- Selçuk N., Ayrancı I., The method of lines solution of discrete ordinates method for radiative heat transfer in enclosures containing scattering media, Numerical Heat Transfer Part B, Vol. 43, p.179-201, 2003.