Dr Liu graduated from Beijing Univ. of Aero. & Astro. (BUAA) with a BSc and an MSc in Aerospace Engineering. He received the PhD in Aeroacoustics under the supervision of Prof. Dame Ann Dowling from University of Cambridge, funded by the Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme and the Gates Cambridge Scholarships. His PhD was on surface roughness generated boundary layer noise, as part of the Silent Aircraft Initiative which was a collaborative project sponsored by the Cambridge-MIT Institute. He then conducted postdoctoral research at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) on jet noise and rocket acoustics, and University of Cambridge on combustion noise as part of the TSB SYMPHONY project. Dr Liu's other research experiences include flow induced noise, phased microphone array techniques, acoustic liner, duct acoustics, etc.
Dr Liu currently works at the Department of Mechanical Engineering Sciences, University of Surrey.
Departments and Institutes
- Aeroacoustics, airframe noise, aeroengine duct acoustics and jet noise
- Fluid mechanics, flow induced noise and vibration
- Thermoacoustics, combustion noise, rocket acoustics
- Phased microphone array and acoustic beamforming algorithm
- Gas turbine technologies, etc.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, N. Swaminathan, R. Morvant, M. A. Macquisten, and L. F. Caracciolo, “Prediction of Combustion Noise for an Aeroengine: Direct Noise in Combustor,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, submitted, 2012.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, T. D. Dunstan and N. Swaminathan, “Temporal Correlations of Heat Release Rate and Combustion Noise Spectrum,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, to be submitted, 2012.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, N. Swaminathan and T. D. Dunstan, “Spatial Correlation of Heat Release Rate and Sound Emission from Turbulent Premixed Flames,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 159, No. 7, pp. 2430–2440, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.combustflame.2012.03.003.
- Y. Liu, A. R. Quayle, A. P. Dowling and P. Sijtsma, “Beamforming Correction for Dipole Measurement Using Two-Dimensional Microphone Arrays,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 124, No. 1, pp. 182–191, 2008. doi:10.1121/1.2931950.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling and H. Shin, “Measurement and Simulation of Surface Roughness Noise Using Phased Microphone Arrays,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 314, No. 1-2, pp. 95–112, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2007.12.041.
- Y. Liu and A. P. Dowling, “Assessment of the Contribution of Surface Roughness to Airframe Noise,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 855–869, 2007. doi:10.2514/1.25217.
- L. Du, Y. Liu and X. Sun, “Research on the Sound Propagation and Radiation in a Duct with a Non-Locally Reacting Liner,” Journal of Engineering Thermophysics, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 751–754, 2005.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, T. D. Dunstan and N. Swaminathan, “Modelling of Combustion Noise Spectrum from Turbulent Premixed Flames,” invited paper for ACOUSTICS 2012, Nantes, France, 23–27 April, 2012.
- Y. Liu, T. P. Hynes and A. P. Dowling, “Prediction of Indirect Combustion Noise for an Aeroengine,” to appear in Proceedings of the 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Colorado Springs, USA, 4–6 June, 2012.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, R. Morvant, M. A. Macquisten, and L. F. Caracciolo, “Prediction of Noise Source for an Aeroengine Combustor,” Proceedings of the 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, AIAA Paper 2011-2913, Portland, USA, 6–8 June, 2011.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, J. I. Hileman and A. R. Quayle, “Surface Roughness Noise Prediction for Silent Aircraft eXperimental Design SAX-40,” Proceedings of the 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2008-0045, Reno, NV, USA, 7–10 January, 2008.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling, H. Shin and A. R. Quayle, “Experimental Study of Surface Roughness Noise,” Proceedings of the 13th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, AIAA Paper 2007-3449, Rome, Italy, 21–23 May, 2007.
- Y. Liu, A. P. Dowling and H. Shin, “Effects of Surface Roughness on Airframe Noise,” Proceedings of the 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, AIAA Paper 2006-2510, Cambridge, MA, USA, 8–10 May, 2006.