The course will provide:
- knowledge and understanding of nuclear technology, policy and allied business;
- intellectual skills to engage with the issues that the development and deployment of nuclear energy poses;
- transferable skills to work and progress in teams within and across the nuclear sector
A one-year intensive full time Masters with a research project and dissertation, starting in October comprising:
- Nine core technology teaching modules:
- Reactor Physics
- Reactor Engineering & Thermal-hydraulics
- Fuel Cycle, Waste & Decommissioning
- Nuclear Fuels & Materials
- Nuclear Safety Principles and Practice
- Nuclear Policy
- Nuclear Practice
- Computational Reactor Modelling
- Advanced Fission and Fusion Reactor Systems
- Nuclear Technology Policy teaching delivered by the Judge Business School:
- Supporting business management courses & seminars, plus a broad range of elective technical courses;
- Long research project and dissertation
- Engagement with industry and external research through projects/dissertation, visits & use of simulators, sponsorship;
- Use of Cambridge's international and external research links with Battelle NW, MIT, KKK, CEA and NNL;
- An option of continuing research training by entering a follow-on PhD programme.
The course will be taught by staff from CUED, the School of Physical Sciences and the Judge Business School. These will be supplemented by leading practitioners each with experience of industry and national laboratories including: Rolls-Royce, TWI, UKAEA, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, AWE & Atkins - to provide specialist knowledge and to give context for the science, technology and business teaching of academic staff.
There is a range of funding opportunities usually through competitive scholarships and bursaries, for postgraduate students. These are described on the Graduate Admissions website. In addition, there are some scholarships (worth up to £7,000 each) specifically for Nuclear Energy candidates from the UK. If you are interested, please contact the Course Administrator.